Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Happy Birthday Vellum Wash

I love this card so much!  The finished card is pretty awesome!  However getting to this finished card was a little questionable!  I wasn't sure how it would all work I'm so glad it did though!  The card is pretty straight forward, I cut the Happy Birthday Thinlit from Gold and fussy cut some flowers from the new Lovely Friends set.  The 'it's your day' greeting was heat embossed from the new Happy Birthday Gorgeous set.  So where was my concern?  Well the vellum.  
I wanted to color the vellum but I wasn't really sure how I would do that. Vellum is a funky paper, I love it, but it's pretty temperamental and often does what it wants, despite your best efforts.  I wanted an ombre look on the vellum but I knew that I couldn't watercolor it.  Vellum cannot handle water.  Coloring it with markers would leave it streaky and not very pretty.  So I tried a different approach, I used the new Fresh Fig, Berry Burst and Powder Pink ink pads and I smooshed the ink pad right onto the vellum.  Starting with the lightest and working down to the darkest.  Since the ink doesn't settle into vellum very fast, it kind of just sits on the surface, I took a dry cloth (paper towel would work too) and I rubbed and blended the colors together.  This actually worked really well and I was so pleased with the result.  I put the ink side down onto the white cardstock and finished my card.  It's a really fun look and a fun technique to try!

Thanks for looking, see you soon!!!
 

No comments: