Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Faux Watercolor Butterflies

Do you love the watercolored look but are maybe watercolored challenged.  I have a really fun and easy tip for you for a simple, subtle faux watercolor look.  You'll love it!!!  I saw the technique done here, but with alcohol markers that I don't own, so I thought how else can I duplicate this look with what I DO have, and probably what you have too.  I filled an aqua painter with some rubbing alcohol and it worked!  I used the Extra Thick White Cardstock for this technique. I stamped my butterflies in Soft Sky and Tempting Turquoise.  Flip your cardstock over and use the rubbing alcohol filled aqua painter and 'color' the back over where the butterflies are stamped.  The alcohol seeps into the cardstock and makes the ink 'bleed' slightly, not a lot, just enough to soften the edges and blend the colors together.  Because rubbing alcohol evaporates so quickly you have to use a very wet brush and keep going over the same spot.   If it's not giving you the look you want you can go directly over the image on the front of the cardstock too. 
   
I stamped the bodies and the antena after I did the watercoloring.  You can see how the colors have softened and become a little muted and watercolor like.  Such an easy fun technique!  I want to try it with our regular white cardstock and see if it gets different results because it's thinner.....

Thanks for looking, see you soon!!!!!

No comments: