Friday, September 20, 2013

The Easiest Box

I forgot to share one last thing from class last week.  At every class I always make a little gift for my guests.  This month, since the theme was Birthday's I thought I'd make them all this adorable gift bag.  I learned to make them from my downline Michelle.  It was a great way to use up all that retired DSP I had lying around.  I forgot to take a picture of all of them at the class :(  But here's what I had leftover.  In the boxes I packed all their supplies for the cards.  I have a quick tutorial for these boxes, I knew you'd ask ;)
You'll need 2 sheets of 12x12 cardstock or DSP.  Score the top at 2 inches, score both sides and the bottom at 3 inches on both sheets of DSP.  With one sheet of DSP you'll cut along the score lines and cut off the bottom corners.  This is sheet 1.
On the second sheet, cut along the bottom score line until you reach the score lines on the sides.  Your DSP should look like this will little tabs on the bottom.  This is sheet 2.   Decide which pattern you want on the inside and fold the top 2 inch score line over on both pieces.  Fold your side pieces in on the score lines of both pieces.  
Another tip from Michelle, to make the box sturdier add a piece of cardboard in the bottom.  For the cardboard I used the white pieces that come with the DSP-cut down to 3x6.   You can use sticky strip or the green tombow glue (that's what I used).  I stuck the cardboard piece between the two pieces of DSP, that way it was hidden.  Sheet 2 was laid flat, then the cardboard in the center of the two score lines on the bottom, sheet 1 goes right on top.  I hope all this is making sense :)
From this stage, the sides fold up and glue to each other creating your box.  It's that easy!  I told you it was easy, I'm sure my directions sound much more confusing than it actually is :) 
From this point you can add some ribbon for a handle.  I also added a little dot of glue on the corners of the top folded over piece.  Not necessary, just an optional step. 
Here's the finished bags/boxes one more time.  They're so cute I LOVE them!!!  If you're savvy at math you could redo this box in different sizes, that would be fun!!!  I might try that :)   
Thanks for looking, see you soon!!!!!

No comments: