Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Tutorial Tuesday-Giving Cards

Today is Tutorial Tuesday and I wasn't sure it was going to happen. Yesterday was jam packed with stuff to do. We had to leave the house by 7:25 to make it to Logan's 3 year well check up at the doctors office. Dan had yesterday off so we also spent the rest of the day running errands and catching up on some stuff. Then yesterday evening we cut for stamp camp that's coming up this Saturday. So somewhere between all of that I had to do the tutorial then get it up on the computer and I wasn't sure if that was going to happen or not, but it did-yeah so you do get a tutorial! I'm not sure what to call it, but it's such a fun easy way to give note cards for gifts. With school starting these would make excellent teacher gifts or think of your college students going away, send them with some cards to write home every now and then. The one I showed a couple weeks ago is a different size than this one. This one is made to fit 4.25x5.5 cards, the other one fit 3.5x5 cards. I got this idea from my 3 level upline who gave me one at Convention, she got the idea and original pattern from Terri Gaines. I'll give the dimensions for the other one at the bottom if you prefer to make that size. For this one I'm using some new DSP from the Holiday Mini, coming out in September!! And a new stamp set from that mini too.

So what you'll need is and 8.25 x 12 piece of DSP, and a piece of coordinating CS (I'm using white) that's 4 x 8.5. On the DSP score it on the 8.25 side at 2 inches on each side, on the 12 inch side score it down the middle at 6. On you white, score on the 8.5 side at 5.5 and 6. You'll also need ribbon and the horizontal slot punch.


Fold on all your score lines. The score lines at 2 inches will fold in and then fold the 6 inch score line over.


I used my scallop border punch and scalloped the edge of the white. On your DSP open the 2 inch score lines again. Line up your 5.5 inch score line with the top of the DSP and glue down. The picture better illustrates this.


Glue the DSP down now.



Use your horizontal slot punch on the side with the white cardstock. I went about an inch down from the DSP and pushed my punch up as far as it would go then I punched the slot. Do that on both sides.






Your ribbon is threaded through them from the inside.




I have 4 cards with envelopes to put inside, they're very simple, pretty cards.


Lay those in the center between the top of the DSP and the 6 inch score line. Fold the bottom DSP over the cards and the white CS flap over that, tie the ribbon around to hold it and your done!


To make the one that holds 3.5x5 cards, your CS for the flap needs to be 3.75 x 6, score on the 6 inch side at 2 and 2.75, and your DSP will need to be 7.5x12, the directions I have for this one didn't give measurements for score lines. To make it your fold it in half hot dog style to find the center, then unfold and fold your sides in to the center line. I prefer to score so that you don't have so many lines and it's just neater. So that's why I modified it a little, plus I don't make the 3.5x5 cards very much so this size is just better for me.

Thanks for looking, see you tomorrow!

1 comment:

kristine said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I can not wait to start making these for gifts!!!